Sunday 28 July 2013

My weekend

Hello everyone! I hope you have all had a nice weekend.

S and I had our usual cosy weekend together, wandering around town and then settling down to watch a film on Saturday night.

I have some yarny goings on to relate! In my last post I showed you a big pile of scrap yarn and asked you if you could guess what I was going to turn it into.

Well here you are....


Yes, you might have guessed, it's a granny square somthing!

This will eventually become a cushion cover I hope. I was inspired by an old post which I saw on the Attic 24 blog last week, where Lucy had made a granny square cushion cover from her own stash of colourful scraps. You can find her post here.

As you can see my cushion has 3 round granny squares rather than the 2 round ones in the cushion cover Lucy made. That's just because I didn't think I could cope with so many teeny squares, as beautiful as they look in Lucy's pictures! I also plan to make a matching granny sqaure back for my cushion - I really do have a lot of little scraps!

 I also bought something over the weekend, which I plan to use for my granny cushion cover - this cute little jar of multi-coloured buttons!


I have had my eye on this little jar for a while. I got it in the haberdashery department at John Lewis - I just couldn't resist! There are also versions in single colour hues (blue/blue green and white) and a pastel coloured button selection! Hmm, I think I may have to go back and get the other colours too! Now, I'm sure you want to see a bit more of the colourful contents of this jar....



I think a couple of these little darlings will look perfect as a button fastening for my cushion when it is finished - if I can bring myself to use them!

As usual I also had a look at the yarn whilst in John Lewis. Although I did make a purchase (which I'll show you soon - and don't worry I did stick within my self imposed yarn budget - so far!) I came away feeling a little disappointed to be honest. One type of yarn which I loved - Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK - has been discontinued. I loved this yarn because there were so many bright, rich colours. Looking at the other yarns in the store, I just couldn't find anything at all similar. In fact, the colour palettes of most of the other dk wool-mix yarns seem quite muted at the moment. I'm going to have to search for a brand that does the kind of colours I like.

On my travels this weekend, I saw some lovely flowers in various locations:

All these flowers are the kind of colours that I want for my next crochet project, but currently can't find. I'm thinking of rich magenta, geranium and pomegranate reds, violets and lavender, golden yellow, azure blue and turquiose and kingfisher or peacock colours.

Can anyone suggest a yarn I might try?

Hope you all had a lovely crafty weekend!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. Lovely soon-to-be cushion Jen, and your buttons are fantastic - what beautiful colours in so many sizes - very handy!
    Have you thought about the Stylecraft Special DK yarn - it has a huge colour range? Your flower pics are so lovely!
    Joy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy

      Thanks for your comment on the soon-to-be cushion!

      You are quite right, Stylecraft Special is good for a wide choice of colours, and I do use it - it's what I'm using to make the granny stripe blanket I'm currently working on. However, although it is great value, I have to say I'm not crazy about some of the colours used. I find them a little bit garish and harsh in some cases, and somehow not very easy to combine with each other. They don't really have colours similar to the kind I have in mind either - but perhaps I am just really really pick!

      Jen x

      Delete

I love to read all your comments, so if you have a question to ask or just something to say, please leave me a message and I'll reply!