Sunday 20 January 2013

A winter's tale

The weather here this week has been so cold. Ok, I know temperatures of freezing or just below are spring like for those of you in more nordic climes, but for the UK, it's pretty cold!




To be honest, I haven't felt like doing anything much this past week other than hibernating, which is why I haven't been here. It can pretty grim at this time of year if you are a commuter. Anyone who has to rely on public transport to get them to and from work, and works more than a few miles away from where they live will know what I mean - getting up in the dark, standing around waiting for buses and trains in the freezing cold and the knowledge that you will barely see any daylight that day because by the time you head home it will be dark all over again!


Still, I can't complain too much - I am happy to have the job I do! It's just hard getting going at this time of year. And, freezing weather isn't all bad - a walk in the park last Saturday meant a chance to see some more lovely early blossoms. I hope they haven't all been killed by the snow this week!

Of course cold weather is also an excuse for snuggling up in lovely handmade knit and crochet garments - as if any excuse were needed!

Since finishing my colour therapy throw, I've been working up a cosy crochet scarf for myself:


The pattern used is the Arcade stitch from the Essential Handbook of Crochet stitches by Betty Barnden. The yarn used was Debbie Bliss Rialto 4ply with a 3mm hook.


Its the first time for a while that I've attempted a stitch like this and had success - I normally end up with wibbly edges! I seem to have it figured out now though!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I've been walking to work which takes about 50 minutes each way as the snow has made it difficult to get my car out of our road and I'm definitely not a cold weather person. I too have felt like hibernating and really have not been at my creative best so have filled my crafty time knitting socks for my grandchildren to keep their feet warm when out playing in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is a long walk! It can be so dark and depressing at this time of year- I know how you feel. I hope your grandchildren appreciate their lovely handknitted socks!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work & stitch and a nice colour to. I remember getting up in the dark & going home in the dark waiting around all very depressing but some beautiful coloured wool/yarn will make it all go away :) Dxx

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all your comments, so if you have a question to ask or just something to say, please leave me a message and I'll reply!